Walker Hearing Clinic operates from the Consultants Private Clinic in Cork University Hospital. In addition to our Cork Hearing Clinic we also have Hearing Clinics in Brookes Pharmacy Bandon and Mellerick Opticians Fermoy. We offer a full range of hearing care products & services including hearing tests and diagnostic hearing consultations, hearing aids, ear wax removal (via endoscopic micro suction) and hearing protection products. Our patients receive expert independent advice, avail of the most modern, up to date technology and are treated in a place where only the highest standards of Audiological care are met.
5 Facts about Hearing Loss in Ireland
- The most common causes of hearing loss are age (presbycusis) and noise.
- It is estimated that one in every 6 people in Ireland suffer from a hearing loss. For people aged 60 & over, this figure rises to one in three.
- Most people wait, on average, for 10 years from the time they realise they have a hearing problem until they go for a hearing test.
- The number of people wearing hearing aids in Ireland is growing every year.
- With an aging demographic and an increased retirement age, hearing aids are becoming more and more common.
The Health Service Executive has more information available here.
Common Six Signs/Symptoms of Hearing Loss
- You find it difficult to hear on a one to one basis.
- You have trouble hearing in group situations.
- You struggle to make out sounds with background noise.
- Often you have to ask people to repeat themselves.
- The volume on your TV is up to the maximum.
- You experience ringing or buzzing in your ears (tinnitus).
The British National Health Service has more information on the general signs of hearing loss available here.
Online Hearing Test
Think you have hearing loss? Try our online hearing test. The test takes you through a brief questionnaire and different listening scenarios.
We recommend that you take the test in a quiet environment, preferably using headphones instead of your built-in speakers.
This online hearing test is not a diagnostic hearing evaluation. You should always seek out a hearing care professional if you suspect you have a hearing loss. The purpose of this test is to help you determine whether you could benefit from a comprehensive test and evaluation of your hearing, supplied by a hearing care professional.
If you think that you (or a loved one) is becoming hard of hearing, contact Walker Hearing Clinic to make an appointment for a Diagnostic Hearing Test. Do not wait. Your hearing health is important to your overall well being and hearing loss can sometimes be a sign of an underlying health issue. We are experts in our field & will take your concerns seriously.